Vertigo and Balance Evaluation and Treatment
- An estimated 90 million Americans (42% of the current population) experience dizziness at least once in their lifetime.
- For patients over 70 years of age, balance disorders and dizziness are the primary reasons for visiting a physician, and dizziness is a significant risk factor for falls.
- Falls have been estimated to be the leading cause of serious injury and death in persons older than 65 years.
- Falls account for 50% of accidental deaths in the elderly and 10% of falls result in hospitalization.
- The annual direct and indirect costs of fall-related injuries are estimated to reach $67.7 billion by the year 2020.
- Some estimates state that as many as half of all cases of dizziness are due to vestibular disorders.
- Data from the National Health
and Nutrition Examination Survey found that those with symptomatic vestibular dysfunction have a 12-fold increase in the odds of falling.
To learn more about our services contact our office directly 850-889-4550 .